More updated info on @onadaexpansiva #Bahrain @P4HR
The Bahrain government’s indiscriminate use of tear gas as a weapon has resulted in the maiming, blinding, and even killing of civilian protesters, and must stop at once while the government reassesses the use of such toxic chemical agents.
PHR's new report details the findings of our investigation.This report is based on interviews with more than 100 Bahraini citizens, including victims of civil rights violations, corroborating witnesses, civil society leaders, and government officials. It documents the authors' findings, based on physical examinations and medical records. Among them:
- A teenage boy was struck in his left eye by a tear gas canister fired at close range, which fractured his eye socket and ruptured his eyeball, leaving him blind in that eye.
- A 27-year-old bystander suffered a fractured skull and intracranial bleeding when struck in the head with a tear gas canister.
- A physiotherapist started wheezing, felt short of breath, and had difficulty speaking for two weeks after exposure to tear gas.
- Several women who had miscarried reported that their doctors said they had noticed a significant rise in miscarriages in neighborhoods where tear gas was used frequently.
- An asthmatic man routinely exposed to tear gas died in the hospital of acute respiratory failure after exposure to yet another tear gas explosion.
|A Bahraini woman shows an exploded tear gas canister that was shot into her house. Photo: Richard Sollom, PHR|
Physicians for Human Rights
Under the Gun: Ongoing Assaults on Bahrain’s Health SystemHolly G. Atkinson, MD, FACP Richard Sollom, MA, MPH May 12
Related @onadaexpansiva Tweets
- #Bahrain retrial of Abdulhadi al-Khawaja http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18157819 … @BBCWorld @A_BHN @KhawajaStrike @angryarabiya May 22nd 12
- #Bahreïn: verdict rendu dans procès des fonctionnaires de #Salmanyeh http://www.rfi.fr/moyen-orient/20120614-cour-appel-rend-son-verdict-le-proces-fonctionnaires-hopital-salmanyeh-bahrein … @RFI Reaction #P4HR http://physiciansforhumanrights.org/press/press-releases/phr-denounces-sentencing-of.html … @P4HRJune 14th 12
- #Bahrain As Hopes for Reform Fade, Protesters Turn Anger on #US http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/world/middleeast/as-hopes-for-reform-fade-in-bahrain-protesters-turn-anger-on-united-states.html?_r=1&smid=tw-share … @nytimesworld June 25th 12